Crest Hut Butt Shop Online Diary Comics by Gerry Alanguilan (Started on May 7, 2007)

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Why An Online Daily Diary Comic Strip?

I just wanted to see if I could do it.

I needed something to draw or sketch right after waking up just to get me in the mood for the rest of the day. I've learned that if I drew for a full hour as soon as I wake up, before I do anything else (and that includes brushing my teeth, taking a bath, eating, checking email), I learned it sort of warmed me up to "working".

I tried sketching, which was OK, but I thought, well, why not do a short comic strip and post it online? If I was going to be sketching everyday, why not do the strip every day? That meant I could be in a position to do something I never dreamed I would do before: a DAILY online comic strip.

Some might say I'd be inconsistent, as I have asserted previously in interviews, including one I did with Tom Spurgeon of The Comics Reporter, that all my new work will be in print, and that I've always resisted doing comics online.

Nearing the half point in my life, I came to realization during the last few months that consistency is BORING. I reserve the right to change my mind, as I continue to learn and evolve as an artist.

With regards to subject matter, I was actually quite inspired by James Kochalka's American Elf, which has been running as a daily diary comics for years. If I'm going to mine whatever happens in my life on the day I do the strip, I'm sure I'll never run out of material.

Doing the strip for only one hour a day, writing, drawing, inking, lettering, coloring and uploading, demands that I find a way to do it quickly. Looking over the strips I've done so far, you'll probably spot immediately what I'm talking about.

The strip at the very top is ALWAYS the most current one, and none of the older strips will be read on this blog. If you wish to start at the beginning, click here. That will bring you to my page at Webcomicsnation.com, where the strip is actually hosted. The strip is simply "tooncasted" here from that site.

I don't plan on talking about this project yet at my main blog, as I want to see if I can do it for a longer period of time before I do.

No comments: